Tuesday, August 12, 2008

(One of the) Best By Far


Omar Lye-Fook.The Brit-funker has been blowing my mind since I picked up a CD import of his first release "There's Nothing Like This" from Atlanta CD (RIP) back in '91. As cool as that was, it didn't even begin to hint at how amazing his follow up disc "MUSIC" would be! The horns, the melodies, the VOICE. Like a handful of others around Atlanta I was asking "Who is this guy"?! For those in the know it almost seemed like Omar was a musical version of Fight Club: "The first rule of Fight club IS we don't talk about Fight Club".

The guy just kept dropping musical bombs on me and the faithful: 94's "For Pleasure", followed by 97's "This is Not a Love Song", 00's "Best By Far" ( perfectly titled by the way). I waited for him to blow up! And I waited. And Waited. Then I had a epiphany... this dudes music is beyond the corporate machine. He bobs and weaves , he counter punches, you can't predict him musically. He's a member of the old guard that puts the sound in front of the "product". He's a music lovers musician; he challenges like Prince or Miles. You stand still, he'll keep movin'.

Friday night, the wife and I will be checking the brother out at Underground Atlanta's Sugarhill. If you act right I may return with a review and a picture or two. Rest assured when he sings his latest single "Sing (if you want it)" we will!


Official Omar Web Site
Excellent article on Omar from Kick Mag.
Omar Biography/Discography from Allmusic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we looking forward for your show report about Omar event in ATl. Bring su some good pix and vvideos if you can. we keep it locked on your blog.


peace

sly